[SIGCIS-Members] Fwd: CCS News - 2016 Tony Sale Award winner

Schmudde d at schmud.de
Sun Nov 20 15:48:22 PST 2016

All -

I was at the HNF in early 2015 for research. The staff and the space are
both fantastic.

This exhibit wasn't running at that time, but it looks to be part of
their life-sized ENIAC "model." They have enough floor space set aside
so a visitor can walk inside the machine as one might have in the 1940s.
Although there are very few artifacts or interactive panels, it does
help one appreciate the actual magnitude of the computer.

I assume this reconstruction helps fill out the rest of the picture.

To directly address Mark's question, RE: exhibiting the essence machine
programming, I felt that many of the HNF exhibits focused on tackling
the encoding of information through history - ancient record keeping,
Morse code, Jacquard loom - which leads up to the ENIAC installation.
That's likely the through line here. I like the thought of conveying
more abstract concepts like conditional branching and functional
programming

/Schmüdde

--
w: http://schmud.de