[SIGCIS-Members] Importance of history to practitioners

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Thu Nov 10 10:14:30 PST 2016

On 11/10/16 9:59 AM, McMillan, William W wrote:

> a designer needed to know where all the tools and techniques came from before designing current systems.

Going a little bit deeper, you need to know what has been tried, what did and didn't work, and why.
If you come out of school and go to work with experienced people in an established company, you get to learn that.
I could go into a fairly long tirade about why startups full of bright-eyed kids do so much wheel reinvention, but I won't.