[SIGCIS-Members] A fresh tissue of lies...

Murray Turoff murray.turoff at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 16:21:37 PDT 2016

I did find the first commercial use of email even though it was not defined
with that term.
In 1969 Scientific Time Sharing Corporation STSC used a program called
MAILBOX for communication
among the employees and customers.    There is information about that
system on pages 501 and
508 of the Delphi Method book which is free on my website.  the book was
published in 1975 and the last
chapter covered a bunch of online systems that could be used to help out
with a Delphi process on line.
The early message systems of that time period from 1967 on really had all
the qualities of what became email
even if the name was not used.    we had people at the medical school in
newark on our system beginning in
1975 before "email" was invented at that medical school in newark, EIES was
probably the first social network system
and it had a complete message subsystem in addition to conferencing, shared
notebooks and a variety of tailored systems
for different user groups.  you can find user manuals at
http://library.njit.edu/archives/cccc-materials/index.php

you could sign message or conference comments (all asynchronous or
simultanious) with pen names or anonymously so it was
easy to set up Delphi discussions.   each user could take on a unique pen
name and choose when writing a message or comment to
use his or her real name, pen name, or anonymity.

*please send messages to murray.turoff at gmail.com <murray.turoff at gmail.com>
do not use @njit.edu <http://njit.edu> addressDistinguished Professor
EmeritusInformation Systems, NJIThomepage: http://is.njit.edu/turoff
<http://is.njit.edu/turoff>*