[SIGCIS-Members] Vintage Computer Festival East (and West)

Evan Koblentz evan at snarc.net
Wed Mar 23 10:39:37 PDT 2016

VCF East XI is April 15-17 this year, at our usual haunt -- the InfoAge
Science Center, in Wall, New Jersey.

The agenda....

- Friday: Fifteen tech classes/lectures, an eight-bit game programming
hackathon, after-lunch keynote by John Blankenbaker who invented the
Kenbak personal computer in 1971, long before Altair, Apple, etc.

- Saturday morning: Keynote by Stewart Cheifet, who hosted "The Computer
Chronicles" PBS television show in the 1980s

- Sunday morning: Keynote by the legendary Ted Nelson. We've been trying
to get him for many years....

- Saturday/Sunday, rest of the day: several dozen hands-on exhibits of
1960s-1980s computers, all up and running for visitors to enjoy. Also:
learn-to-solder classes and tours of the various wings at the InfoAge
center, including the newly doubled-in-size computer museum. (We were
operating a "living" exhibition long before Paul Allen came up with that
name...)

This will be the first Vintage Computer Festival under its new
ownership, the Vintage Computer Federation, which is a 501c3 non-profit.

The web site is www.vcfed.org and the geek-in-charge is me. :)

thanks,
- Evan

PS. - the new Federation also owns VCF West, which will be Aug. 6-7 at
the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California. (VCF
Southeast, VCF Midwest, and the European editions are independent.)