[SIGCIS-Members] "Inventor of Email" campaign targets Ray Tomlinson, "racist" journalists, reality

Dave Walden dave.walden.family at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 08:42:27 PST 2016

I think part of the issue is that what Ayyadurai did (and he probably
did something impressive for a young person) was not part of what
evolved into email as we know it today.  It could be the right thing to
acknowledge in an email history paper that Ayyadurai did some email'sh
things on his own at a certain point in the overall email timeline
(starting way before Ayyadurai).  The problem is caused by Ayyadurai
claiming he and he alone invented email (defined by him to exclude
anything before and perhaps afterwards) when the rest of the world knows
a much broader history.  If Ayyadurai would claim what he actually did
(designed, implemented, trademarked) and noted where it fits in the
history of email, it would be another interesting story or something the
was innovative in its way but didn't have much impact.  I bet no one
would have much objection to that.   (PS, there are people with
Ayyadurai's ethnic background who are widely recognized for their
computing innovations.)