[SIGCIS-Members] IBM 610

Allan Olley allan.olley at utoronto.ca
Wed Mar 2 16:11:06 PST 2016

Hello,
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/computinghistory/610.html
 	The 610 was under development as the Personal Automatic Computer
(acording to this website and according to Bashe et al. in the MIT book
IBM's Early Computer, a prototype was operating by 1954 with commercial
release by 1957) it was intended as a more real time less batch
modey sort of machine unlike other machines of that time, but no one
really seriously seems to claim it has any relation to any other
"personal computer" either in terms of hardware details (it apparently
had very ideosyncratic hardware) or even as vague inspiration.
 	The key point I guess is that it pretty clearly has nothing
to do with the microprocessor based computers of the 1970s and later that
are usually called personal computers.

 	I have noticed that the idea of a personal computer and personal
computing gets used to describe	machines before the microprocessor
machines of the 1970s. The website mentions the Bendix G-15 as another
example of this (some apparently claim it as the first personal
computer and it was released commercially in 1956). The issue here is that
any computer an individual has complete control of regardless of its
characteristics (size, intended use etc.) can become a personal computer
in terms of how that user feels about it and interacts with it. So any
computer can be a personal computer in that ambigious sense it seems to
me. It also gets complicated because people's interactions with earlier
transistor and vacuum tube machines influenced them in designing and
using the microprocessor machines that are unambigiously personal
computers. So there are connections that should be made that make it
complicated.

--
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley, PhD