[SIGCIS-Members] how to address ethical privacy issues regarding corpora?

Alexandre Hocquet alexandre.hocquet at univ-lorraine.fr
Tue Jun 7 08:28:51 PDT 2016

Dear list members,

We are in the process of submitting a manuscript of a paper within which
we use, as our corpus, the archives of a mailing list (namely the
Computational Chemistry List, http://www.ccl.net/). Some results of this
work on this corpus have been presented at SHOT 2012 in Copenhagen
(http://www.sigcis.org/workshop12/Hocquet) for those who remember (and
yes, this is very slow science).

This kind of corpus raises the issue of unveiling identities and
quotations of the mailing list posters in the manuscript. Even though
the archives of the list are publicly accessible on the web, and even
though the posters did sign a disclaimer when posting to the list, our
question is whether, and to what extent, it could be considered
unethical, regarding publication in an academic journal, to disclose
their identities.

A radical solution to preserve posters privacy could be to anonymize the
identities and quotations of the mailing list posters. But we believe
that the details of the background, status, opinions, worldviews... of
the actors are of prime interest for our discussion of their debates
within the mailing list. Our concern is thus to respect the privacy of
posters without losing useful sociological details in the process.

For example, we believe it is a useful information in the dynamics of
the debates in the corpus that a poster has a specific academic
position, is involved or not in the founding of an entrepreneurial
structure, what is their role in the developing of specific software
packages....which even raises the issue of privacy of pieces of software
as well as humans...

As we have never been confronted to this issue in our previous
manuscripts, we are in need of ethical guidelines, or, even more
helpful, pieces of advice on our specific case study. Thank you in
advance for your answers.

Yours,

Alexandre Hocquet

Université de Lorraine & Archives Henri Poincaré
Alexandre.Hocquet at univ-lorraine.fr
http://poincare.univ-lorraine.fr/fr/membre-titulaire/alexandre-hocquet