[SIGCIS-Members] Call for Ideas!

Paul N. Edwards pne at umich.edu
Wed Aug 24 11:20:09 PDT 2016

So there are two variants of “critical infrastructure studies” now — “[critical infrastructure] studies” and “critical [infrastructure studies]”. I think Lori’s usage (the second one) is new, and still rare or even idiosyncratic. It also may not be possible to distinguish STS-y versions of “infrastructure studies” from “critical infrastructure studies” (Lori’s sense).

To my knowledge, the first use of the phrase “critical infrastructure” was around 1997-98, by the Clinton-era President’s Commission on Critical Infrastructure Protection (PCCIP). Perhaps there were earlier uses of the phrase that I don’t know about.

The PCCIP focused in part on vulnerabilities created by connections across infrastructures - cyber with electric and phone, for example. People working in one, e.g. cyber, tended to ignore vulnerabilities due to their interaction, e.g. cutting major undersea cables (physical attack, not cyber) would also take out chunks of the Internet.

The PCCIP work became input to the new Dept of Homeland Security after 9/11/2001.

There’s a 100-plus page report, issued around 1999. If it’s too hard to find email me and I will send you a copy.

Best,

Paul