[SIGCIS-Members] Call for Ideas!

Lori Emerson lori.emerson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 11:38:49 PDT 2016

Dear all, I just wanted to thank you for sending in these great resources
for infrastructure studies - I came across the term "critical
infrastructure studies" a couple months ago and got quite excited about how
it seemed more expansive and more useful for describing my projects on labs
and the pre-history of the internet than either "media archaeology" or just
"media studies." But now I wonder what the extra "critical" denotes since
there's a somewhat well established field already of I.S.? Any thoughts?

yours, Lori

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Paul N. Edwards <pne at umich.edu> wrote:

> Dag, here’s a partial list. I’ll be curious to hear what others might add.
>
> Bowker & Star, *Sorting Things Out: Classification and Its Consequences*
>
> Simon & Marvin, *Splintering Urbanism — *kind of a giant lit review,
> mostly focused on urban physical infrastructure but with some attention to
> digital
>
> Edwards, A Vast Machine: Computer Models, Climate Data, and the Politics
> of Global Warming <http://pne.people.si.umich.edu/vastmachine/index.html>
>
> Edwards et al., Understanding Infrastructure: Dynamics, Tensions, and
> Design <http://pne.people.si.umich.edu/PDF/ui.pdf> (NSF report with some
> lit review)
>
> Starosielski, *The Undersea Network*
>
> Check the books in my *Infrastructures* book series
> <https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/series/infrastructures>, co-edited with
> Geof Bowker - e.g. Larry Busch, *Standards: Recipes for Reality*
>
> Also this very recent paper
> <https://www.academia.edu/27555302/Infrastructure_studies_meet_platform_studies_in_the_age_of_Google_and_Facebook> on
> platforms vs. infrastructures - not sure it counts as “canonical”!
>
> Best,
>
> Paul
>

> On Aug 22, 2016, at 16:20 , Dag Spicer <dspicer at computerhistory.org>
> wrote:
>
> Can anyone suggest some canonical and effective texts in Infrastructure
> Studies?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dag
> --
> Dag Spicer
> Senior Curator
> Computer History Museum
> Editorial Board, IEEE Annals of the History of Computing
> 1401 North Shoreline Boulevard
> Mountain View, CA 94043-1311
>
> Tel: +1 650 810 1035
> Fax: +1 650 810 1055

> —————————————————
> Paul N. Edwards, Professor of Information <http://www.si.umich.edu> and
> History <http://www.lsa.umich.edu/history/>
> Distinguished Faculty in Sustainability, Graham Sustainability Institute
> <http://graham.umich.edu>
> Senior Fellow, Michigan Society of Fellows
> <http://societyoffellows.umich.edu>
>
> Terse replies are deliberate <http://five.sentenc.es/>. Here's why!
> <http://emailcharter.org>
>
> University of Michigan School of Information <http://www.si.umich.edu/>
> 4437 North Quad
> 105 S. State Street
> Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1285
> Twitter: @AVastMachine <https://twitter.com/avastmachine>
> Web: pne.people.si.umich.edu

Lori Emerson
Associate Professor | Director, Media Archaeology Lab
Department of English and Intermedia Arts, Writing, and Performance
University of Colorado at Boulder
Hellems 101, 226 UCB, Boulder, CO 80309-0226
loriemerson.net | mediaarchaeologylab.com