[SIGCIS-Members] Call for Ideas!

Hintz, Eric HintzE at si.edu
Tue Aug 23 09:04:16 PDT 2016

Dag and SIGCIS-

I suggest SHOT’s 2015 Edelstein prize-winner (best scholarly book): Christopher F. Jones, Routes of Power: Energy and Modern America (Harvard, 2014)<https://www.amazon.com/Routes-Power-Energy-Modern-America/dp/0674728890>.  Chris describes how infrastructure--in the form of canals, pipelines, and electrical power lines--transformed the East Coast of the U.S., turning it into a fossil-fuel intensive economy, with accompanying social-economic-environmental impacts.  He certainly cites all the canonical literature on path dependency, infrastructure traps, etc.

Chris also blogs at http://www.christopherfjones.com/.

Best-
Eric Hintz
Smithsonian Institution