[SIGCIS-Members] The Women of Datamation

Pierre MOUNIER-KUHN mounier at msh-paris.fr
Fri Sep 4 03:13:58 PDT 2015

Bonjour Dag,

For my current work on women’s careers in computing in France (1950s-1980s), I made a survey of advertising themes. It may come as an alternative to the evolution you observe in Datamation , or as a topic for a discussion, as French (or European?) iconography presents rather a permanent theme within this time span: Typically the male operator is standing by the computer and handles magnetic tapes or peeks at a printer, while the female operator, seated at the console/control panel, seems to be in command of the « electronic brain ». This stereotype was repeated over and over in ads from most computer makers since the mid-1950s until the 1980s. It is not exactly neutral regarding gender, as the male operator performs mostly manual tasks, while the female operator controls the machine. No hierarchy is suggested between them, but a visible division of labour.

It broke with the older stereotype, typical of ads for office machines since the 1920s, which showed the Efficient Executive giving directions to his female subordinate busy typ ing data into "her" accounting machine.
The main message conveyed is that the computer with its professional-looking operators provides a quiet, efficient service. What it did not convey was that such operators, threatened by the reorganization of large IT facilities from the mid-1970s, would eventually be at the forefront of the massive strikes in French banks...

I am sure most of you have seen such ads. I can provide a sample, if it is allowed by the SIGCIS list etiquette.
Best,
Pierre Mounier-Kuhn