[SIGCIS-Members] Innovators Assemble: Ada Lovelace, Walter Isaacson, and the Superheroines of Computing

James Sumner james.sumner at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Sep 4 08:58:44 PDT 2015

Dear all

Tom and Mark's article has given me some useful food for thought as I
finish writing a review of Padua's cartoon treatment (on which I tend to
agree with their estimation. For an unabashed jokefest, it's remarkably
historiographically acute on the re-evaluation of Lovelace's
contribution to the Analytical Engine project, as far as it goes; she
doesn't really play with the further difficulty over whether the project
overall influenced later work, though she's quite careful to avoid
encouraging the reader to assume it did).

The /CACM/ article's comments on Lovelace as a constructed heroine with
impossible powers chime closely with a lot of work by historians of
science, including those most concerned with real women's opportunities
and challenges in both past and present scientific cultures. I'm
reminded of Becky Higgitt's Guardian science blog columns on the
occasion of two successive Ada Lovelace Days:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/the-h-word/2012/oct/16/history-science
http://www.theguardian.com/science/the-h-word/2013/oct/15/women-science-history-ada-lovelace-day

It's notable that the core historianly objection to "heroine" rhetoric
in women-into-science activism is that it's both bad history and bad
advocacy, combining a limited version of a feminist platform with a
veiled denial that patriarchy really operated to oppress. The evidence
shows that, if we take the modern definition of "doing science" as
"publishing original scientific research", then, for many time periods
in many fields, there literally weren't any women doing science, because
there were formal structures which efficiently and comprehensively
stopped them from doing it. The historian can still legitimately
retrieve scientifically active women, of course, by making a more
careful evaluation of how scientific activity really worked --
revealing, for instance, the significance of hidden collaborators,
technicians, popularisers and educators (Lovelace's mentor Mary
Somerville being a key case here). This questioning of definitions turns
out to have all sorts of wider benefits in understanding science and
scientific authority. This, I suspect, is the main reason why those of
us who have that training get so upset when advocates simply short-cut
it and insert a modern-day female research scientist into Victorian
England, smoothing over the joins with vague appeals to "inspiration"
and "insight".

I've been watching the Ada-as-angel narrative gain ground in the UK over
the past few years whilst regrettably failing to do anything much about
it, and it's notable that it's developed its own tweaked version of the
historiography. This usually makes Bruce Collier very prominent, as a
convenient villain, and tends to erase mention of Dorothy Stein, who
doesn't fit its pattern. Stein's text is notable for being both
explicitly feminist and particularly dismissive of Lovelace's
accomplishments, holding up her canonisation as symptomatic of the
confusion and tokenism that has infected the profession. Stein is
particularly compelling in showing how Lovelace -- though possessed of
wealth, aristocratic status, and automatic celebrity -- was placed
restricted by social conventions to a degree we would consider totally
extraordinary. Unfortunately, Stein also goes in for retrospective
psychological diagnosis in a style the historical professionals will
find worryingly presentist, and pushes the case for Lovelace's
mathematical ignorance further than the evidence will safely bear (hence
the detailed refutation work by Betty Toole, which has unfortunately
tended to distract attention from the question of Lovelace's originality
and influence, and indeed of Babbage's influence).

I've long been curious about the growth of the Ada myth, as addressed in
Tom and Mark's Ngram and hinted at in their footnote 'c'. Contributors
to this list in the past have discussed the twentieth-century
resurrection of Babbage, which it seems was promoted by L J Comrie and
Douglas Hartree, then firmly cemented by Vivian Bowden through Ferranti
sales literature and the 1953 book /Faster Than Thought/; it was
certainly /Faster Than Thought /which pushed Lovelace to a prominent if
subordinate position in the Babbage narrative. Bowden's work, however,
does not contain the "first programmer" claim, nor anything which it
seems to me could be easily modified into it; yet the idea must surely
have taken root somewhere in advance of 1979, when it was given
(apparently quite uncontentiously) as rationale for the naming of the
DoD language. I'm wondering, do any listmember have any concrete detail
on the spread of the characterisation?

All best
James