[SIGCIS-Members] Handwritten "First Draft" in Dyson's book?

Mai Sugimoto nix.pura at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 07:56:49 PDT 2015

Dear SIGCIS members:

I found George Dyson's book, Turing's Cathedral (2012), seems to show
the original hand-written version of the "First Draft" (probably?) in
a picture page, which is on 13 pages after p.136. Since the caption
says the picture is from Princeton University Libraries, I contacted
archivists of the Libraries to access the manuscript. But the
archivists answered they cannot find any material like the picture
within the collection or elsewhere in related collection. I also asked
to the IAS Library, but they cannot find anything, either. Then, as
the archivists suggested, I contacted the publisher to send a message
to Mr. Dyson. They told me just a forwarding address, so I sent a
regular mail to Mr. Dyson in last February to make sure of the
location of the manuscript.

I have not received the reply yet. I am stranded. Does anyone know
contact information of Dyson, or have any idea about the picture on
the book or the original hand-written version of the draft? My
colleagues and I have been working of a Japanese translation of von
Neumann's original paper. Dyson's book is very interesting, but it
seems to have a lot of unreferenced information, so my collaborators
and I think that we should be careful to handle this book in the
bibliographical comments.

Best,

Mai Sugimoto
Associate Professor