[SIGCIS-Members] What can SIGCIS learn methodologically from the history of science, environmental history, etc?

Ceruzzi, Paul CeruzziP at si.edu
Thu Oct 15 07:32:41 PDT 2015

Tom & SIG:

I regret that I was unable to attend the meeting, but from following it on Twitter [!] and from your comments, I see that it was a big success.
I went looking in my files to see if I could find out about the humble beginnings of the SIG-the earliest I found was letter from David Allison announcing the SIG lunch, on Saturday from 1:00 to 2:00 PM, at the SHOT 1990 meeting in Cleveland. In those days the meeting consisted of a lunch where we circulated a list of names and e-mail addresses if we had one (I had BITNET but no internet e-mail). As the letter from David suggests, we still communicated by regular mail a lot.  I couldn't find any of the early lists, unfortunately.  If any of you have one, It'd be fun to share. As this pre-dated the Internet, there is a good chance that someone saved the paper copies.

One of the most memorable meetings that I can recall was at Charlottesville in 1995. We managed to convince Jean Sammet, author of those monumental histories of programming languages, to drive down from DC.  Jean was treated like a movie star, with the younger scholars clustered around her in admiration. For those of you who knew Jean, try to picture that!

Great to see the health & evolution of SIG-CIS. On a more serious note, the growth of the SIG, especially in comparison to other SHOT SIGS that still follow the more informal model, hints at a changing relationship between the history of computing and the history of technology in general, and by extension the relationship between SIG-CIS and SHOT.

Paul Ceruzzi
ceruzzip at si.edu<mailto:ceruzzip at si.edu>
202-633-2414