[SIGCIS-Members] open panels at SHOT

Bradley Fidler fidler at ucla.edu
Sat Nov 14 14:10:51 PST 2015

Hello all,

Following up on Chris' email, I'll note that Quinn Dupont and I are holding
a SHOT panel, "Security Technologies and Policy in Cyberspace."  Please
apply if you are interested and forward our call at will!

The call is here:
http://www.historyoftechnology.org/media/2016_open_panels/sec_tech_pol_cyberspace.pdf

I've pasted the text of the call below.

All best,
Brad

Open Session - Call for Contributions

Society for the History of Technology (SHOT) Annual Meeting - Singapore,
22-26 July 2016

Security Technologies and Policy in Cyberspace

Organizers: Quinn Dupont <http://www.iqdupont.com/> (University of Toronto,
quinn.dupont at utoronto.ca) and Bradley Fidler <http://brfidler.com/>
(University of California, Los Angeles, fidler at ucla.edu)

This panel is for new ways to talk about security in the online world.

Discussions of security today are polarized, with very little common ground
between privacy advocates, on the one hand, and national security on the
other. Moreover, security technologies and infrastructures reflect this
polarization, wherein information security is configured as all-or-nothing,
seemingly unable to simultaneously permit individual privacy and access to
large-scale datasets for and about society. To date, privacy discourses
have not suffered any lack of academic and social attention, as have
technological solutions to national security, but there is a dearth of
scholarly investigation in between these approaches. Yet, at the
traditional points of contact academic researchers have been unaffiliated
with security technology and policy production. And, as Ceruzzi asked in
2014, “Are historians of computing failing by not incorporating the work of
agencies like the NSA?” Indeed, it is a symptom and a cause of this problem
that historians traditionally ignore the intelligence community even on
topics where they made contributions, such as in the civilian development
of computer networks and the ongoing use and promotion of TOR.

In this panel we seek to generate new and productive frameworks for
security and policy discussions that break the present stalemate. By
attending to the origins and development of security, networking, and other
digital technologies, we believe historically situated analyses can provide
fresh insights into technical, political, and social developments. This
panel seeks to bring together usually unconnected strands, including
historical work on cryptography (from Kahn, 1967 to Blanchette, 2012),
trustworthy computing (Misa and Yost, 2011-15), national security
infrastructures (Edwards, 1996), early network security (DuPont and Fidler,
n.d.), early codebreaking machines (Haigh, 2014), interconnections between
Shannon’s mathematical theory of secrecy and information (Thomsen, 2008),
institutions and governance (DeNardis, 2015), commercialization of software
security (Yost, 2015), Korean public key infrastructure (Park, 2015), and
US computer security policy (Warner, 2015).

We invite papers and other interventions in areas that include but are not
limited to:

   -

   Intersectional perspectives on security
   -

   Non-US/UK security contexts, histories, and practices
   -

   Crypto Wars 1.0 (1991-96) and 2.0 (2013-)
   -

   Future Internet Architectures
   -

   Cyber espionage and intellectual property
   -

   Software and data obfuscation (such as homomorphic encryption)
   -

   Open-source and competitive intelligence
   -

   Big data security
   -

   Intelligence and security communities
   -

   Commercialization of security technologies
   -

   Standards and standardization

---
Bradley Fidler | Postdoc, UCLA Computer Science
323.963.4357 | brfidler.com | @brfidler