[SIGCIS-Members] Fwd: Request for J. C. R. Licklider bio for the American National Biography

Janet Abbate abbate at vt.edu
Mon Nov 16 12:25:43 PST 2015

Colleagues,

I am forwarding this for an editor of the ACLS American National Biography. This might be a good opportunity for a grad student (they are open to this). There is a token honorarium, but it makes most sense for someone who already has enough knowledge about Licklider to write this without a lot of additional research. I suspect that applies to a number of people on this listserv. I have no personal stake in this other than wanting to see good-quality history in reference works.

Please respond directly to Rob Heinrich at the email address below.

Janet

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Rob Heinrich <rheinrich at ACLS.org>
> Date: October 30, 2015 10:19:45 AM EDT
> To: "abbate at vt.edu" <abbate at vt.edu>
> Subject: J. C. R. Licklider and the American National Biography
>
> Dear Professor Abbate,
>
> I am writing to you in my capacity as the assistant editor of the American National Biography, where I work with general editor Susan Ware. We’re looking to include significant scientists who were missed in previous editions and updates. To this end, we would like to commission an essay on J. C. R. Licklider, and I’m writing to see if I can tempt you to do it. I’d love to tap your expertise on the history of the internet for the ANB.
>
> Here are a few details to consider. The entry would run about 1,000 words, for which we can pay you an honorarium of $150. There is some flexibility on deadlines. Ideally we would like to have the essay in hand six months from now (April 2016), but if having more time made a difference to your taking it on, we can certainly work out an alternative deadline. My main priority is getting Licklider well-placed, which in your hands he certainly would be.
>
> You will probably know right away whether this offer is attractive and/or feasible (often two different things, I realize). I hope the answer is positive. But if you don't feel that you can take this on, I would very much appreciate any suggestions or leads of other scholars or advanced graduate students who might be interested in the assignment. And of course I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. I look forward to hearing back from you.
>
> Many thanks,
> Rob
>
> Rob Heinrich, PhD
> Assistant Editor, American National Biography
> American Council of Learned Societies/Oxford University Press
> anb.org

Dr. Janet Abbate
Associate Professor, Science & Technology in Society
Co-director, National Capital Region STS program
Virginia Tech
www.sts.vt.edu/ncr
www.linkedin.com/groups/STS-Virginia-Tech-4565055
www.facebook.com/VirginiaTechSTS