[SIGCIS-Members] Automation bibliography

Paul McJones paul at mcjones.org
Mon Jun 15 12:21:50 PDT 2015

Paul,

Burt Grad described the creation of GE’s first applications for the UNIVAC I in this article:

The First Commercial Computer Application at General Electric
By: Burton Grad, December 2006
http://ethw.org/First-Hand:The_First_Commercial_Computer_Application_at_General_Electric

He said a large team was assigned the task of writing a payroll system for the Washer and Dryer Department, while he was assigned the task of writing a manufacturing control system for the Dishwasher and Disposer Department. It took him about six months, and his programs "operational long before the payroll system was completed.”

I’m not sure exactly what manufacturing control referred to, but I suspect it involved scheduling and tracking the movement of parts and subassemblies, but not actually performing real-time control of any machinery.

Paul McJones