[SIGCIS-Members] Revisiting a Summer Vacation: Digital Restoration and Typesetter Forensics

Brian Randell brian.randell at newcastle.ac.uk
Mon Jun 22 05:24:18 PDT 2015

Hi:

I’ve just been alerted by a colleague to the paper: "Revisiting a Summer Vacation: Digital Restoration and Typesetter Forensics", available at http://www.eprg.org/papers/202paper.pdf. (I don’t recall any prior mention of this on SIGCIS.)

This paper strikes me as an excellent contribution to the history of computing, in particular to the history of computer typesetting and computer typography (at Bell Labs and Nottingham University), that contains a description, in wonderful detail, of the technical problems and techniques involved in the investigation.

One of the authors, David Brailsford, has also produced some video accounts of this work - see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVxeuwlvf8w&feature=youtu.be

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdModNEK_1U

Cheers

Brian Randell

--
School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK