[SIGCIS-Members] Jill Lepore on the Internet Archive (Wayback Machine)

Dave Walden dave.walden.family at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 05:46:46 PST 2015

This article in the January 26 issue of _The New Yorker_ (starting on
page 34) is interesting.  I have often thought about how various
personal but useful websites relating to computing history can exist
after the creators stop supporting them, e.g.,
    http://tenex.opost.com/
or
    http://walden-family.com/impcode/
As the article points out, the formal archives are not so great for
saving these personal website, even if the formal arthives had the
space and effort, as websites created as personal efforts to save
bits of computing history often aren't so careful about copyright
issues.  I'm not sure that the Wayback Machine at present is the
answer as it doesn't seem particularly easy to access and search.
PS, I did note one technical mistake in the article:  Licklider did
not help found BBN; he *was* key in founding BBN's computing activities.

--
home address: 12 Linden Rd., E. Sandwich, MA 02537
home ph=508-888-7655; cell ph = 503-757-3137 (often don't carry it)