[SIGCIS-Members] Mass-market historic computers, display and interaction

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Tue Jan 20 11:47:39 PST 2015

Melanie's note reminds me that perhaps my keynote for her Born Digital
Heritage conference last year is relevant: It was in large part to say
that there is no single use case for repositories of computing
collections. I focused on historians, re-enactors (given a computing
context) and media archaeologists, but there will be more.  It is
important, with limited resources, that different institutions consider
which use cases they wish to serve and allocate resources accordingly.
I hope that means that in the aggregate we see many different kinds of
projects - some restoration, some documentation, etc., some focused on
Big Iron, others on consumer-grade computing, etc.
Henry

--
Henry Lowood
Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;