[SIGCIS-Members] Restoraing computers....

Brian Randell brian.randell at newcastle.ac.uk
Sun Jan 18 07:20:31 PST 2015

Hi Dag:

Though I wouldn’t call them actual restorations, I think the Science Museum’s construction of Babbage’s No 2 Difference Engine, and the late Tony Sale’s of the Colossus Mk 2, were wonderful examples of what I understand is called “experimental archaeology”, up there with the Chateau de Guedelon (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10440300), and as such of *unquestionable* value.

Cheers

Brian

--
School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK