[SIGCIS-Members] Query re Gordon Welchman

Deborah Douglas ddouglas at mit.edu
Sun Jan 18 06:33:36 PST 2015

Dave et al,

You can search the MIT catalogs online (http://dome.mit.edu/handle/1721.3/81660).  The MIT Presidents Reports are also a wealth of information (http://web.mit.edu/annualreports/).  We do not have a specific biographical file on him in the museum's collection.

Good luck,

Debbie

On Jan 17, 2015, at 2:51 PM, Dave Walden <dave.walden.family at gmail.com<mailto:dave.walden.family at gmail.com>> wrote:

Hello,

Around 1951, Welchman taught what is said to be the first course on digital computer in MIT's electrical engineer department.  I am wondering if anyone on this list has more information or a pointer to more information regarding Welchman and this course.

>From Brian Randell, I already have a statement by Welchman that he taught the course.  I have sent a query to the MIT Archives.  I have sent a query to Joel Greenberg (via the Bletchly Park website -- a direct email address will be appreciated) who wrote the recent biography of Welchman and Ultra to see if he (Greenberg) has anything about this course in the documents he obtained from the Welchman family.  I will also ask Bob Everett or Jay Forrester if they know anything about the course.

Best regards, Dave

--
home address: 12 Linden Rd., E. Sandwich, MA 02537
home ph=508-888-7655; cell ph = 503-757-3137 (often don't carry it)

Deborah G. Douglas, Ph.D. • Director of Collections and Curator of Science and Technology, MIT Museum • Room N51-209 • 265 Massachusetts Avenue • Cambridge, MA 02139-4307 • ddouglas at mit.edu<mailto:ddouglas at mit.edu> • 617-253-1766 telephone • 617-253-8994 facsimile • http://web.mit.edu/museumhttp://museum.mit.edu/150