[SIGCIS-Members] SIGCIS public presence / media page

Rebecca Slayton rs849 at cornell.edu
Tue Jan 13 16:28:31 PST 2015

Hello Everyone:

I’m writing with a brief update on our plans for improving the SIGCIS’s public presence. Thanks to those of you who provided feedback on the questions we asked in November. Based on that feedback, we are planning on making an “experts directory” opt-in rather than opt-out, since some people may prefer to avoid interactions with journalists. We are also looking at options for including more subject-matter-related images on the website.

In this note, I’m asking for input about what “topics” should be included in a menu that would be linked to the experts directory. There is some balance to be struck between comprehensiveness and keeping the list brief so that it doesn’t become unwieldy. We can still include a field for keyword searches separately, so that people can look for any keyword that doesn’t appear on the list. We’ve included a preliminary list below; please help us improve it by letting me know if you have suggestions for changes.

Thanks very much!

Best,
Rebecca

Topics in history of computing
Personal computing
Business computing
Gender and computing
Programming and software
Military and government computing
International/transnational computing
Networking and the Internet
Mobile devices
Work and organizations
Graphics
Gaming
Social/political movements
Computer security
Standards
Cybernetics
Race and Ethnicity
Museums and archives
Hardware (semiconductors, transistors, computing machinery, etc)
Information history
Information theory

Rebecca Slayton
Assistant Professor, Cornell University
Department of Science & Technology Studies
Judith Reppy Institute for Peace and Conflict Studies
334 Rockefeller Hall | Fax 607-255-6044