[SIGCIS-Members] Davies, Baran, Kleinrock and Telegram Routing

Bjorn Westergard bjornw at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 12:07:22 PST 2015

I'm interested in the influence semi-automatic routing procedures in
telegraphy (e.g. Western Union's Plan-55
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_55-A>) may have had on the
mathematicians and engineers who developed packet-switching standards and
algorithms.

Davies, Baran, and Kleinrock all seem to have been familiar with telegram
routing. Kleinrock mentions Plan-55
<http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/11562/33840535.pdf> in "*Message
Delay" *(1962). In *Distributed Communication Networks *(1964) Baran
mentions that "Torn-tape telegraph repeater stations and our mail system
provide examples of conventional store-and-forward switching systems".

Davies' mother worked for the British postal system
<https://books.google.com/books?id=RLKxSvCBQZcC&pg=PA65&lpg=PA65&dq=donald+davies+store-and-forward&source=bl&ots=1Mlb5RdpKa&sig=MHkb264Q1_ufWupKiHMD16-lMZE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=z9uuVJDrGtDhsASJj4LQDg&ved=0CE4Q6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=donald%20davies%20store-and-forward&f=false>,
and his first exposure to queuing theory was through a book she brought
home from work. In a CBI oral history
<http://conservancy.umn.edu/handle/11299/107241>, he portrays the influence
of torn-tape systems on researchers in general as quite strong, but says
little about how they influenced him:

I think the reason [the software problems of packet switching were
> difficult] was that message-switches were being made to try to operate like
> a torn tape centre. In other words they were trying to emulate the human
> system, which was really quite complex and involved a certain amount of
> subtlety in dealing with particular kinds of failures. The idea of sending
> messages - packets - and relying on lack of any response to send them again
> was unlike the way human systems work.

I'm looking for any tips the list can offer in determining when these
researchers first became acquainted with torn-tape or postal systems, and
in what manner. Observation of installations? Product manuals?
Conversations with engineers who designed such facilities? What
institutional connections were there between their employers (NPL, RAND,
MIT) and the operators of semi-automatic message-switching systems?

When Baran was at RAND, was Western Union's contract with the Air Force to
build and operate a Plan-55 system an influence on research? Would RAND
fellows have been in touch with Western Union engineers?

Cheers,
Bjorn