[SIGCIS-Members] Minorities and privacy/surveillance (Rebecca Slayton)

Sarah T. Roberts sarah.roberts at uwo.ca
Tue Feb 24 15:28:13 PST 2015

I’d like to recommend this article for some historical grounding in COINTELPRO, which strikes me as particularly apropos.

Saito, N. T. “Whose Liberty? Whose Security? The USA PATRIOT Act in the Context of COINTELPRO and the Unlawful Repression of Political Dissent.” Oregon Law Review 81, no. 4 (2002): 1051–1132.

—Sarah

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 15:41:29 +0000
> From: Rebecca Slayton <rs849 at cornell.edu>
> To: sigcis <members at sigcis.org>
> Subject: [SIGCIS-Members] Minorities and privacy/surveillance

> Hello everyone,
>
> One of my students would like to do a term paper on minority attitudes towards privacy/surveillance, but we are finding very little literature on this (maybe two articles that address the issue directly). His focus is on African Americans and U.S. government surveillance, but I think information on the attitudes of any minority group, in any country, towards any type of surveillance, would be helpful in at least framing the issues. Does anybody know of good resources?
>
> Thanks in advance for any tips!
>
> Best,
> Rebecca
>
> Rebecca Slayton
> Assistant Professor, Cornell University
> Department of Science & Technology Studies
> Judith Reppy Institute for Peace and Conflict Studies
> 334 Rockefeller Hall | Fax 607-255-6044

---

S a r a h  T.  R o b e r t s,  P h. D.

Assistant Professor
Faculty of Information and Media Studies (FIMS)
Western University
http://fims.uwo.ca/index.htm

Blogging periodically at
http://illusionofvolition.com