[SIGCIS-Members] Google boss warns of 'forgotten century' with email and photos at risk

Allan Olley allan.olley at utoronto.ca
Fri Feb 13 18:03:23 PST 2015

Hi,
 	At the risk of being sidelined I too have long been intrigued by
the various attempts to recover the 1986 virtual Domesday book files and
images.
 	Its detailed in the source that Brian linked to that there were
multiple attempts to make available the materials (at least 3) including
the CAMiLEON emulator project that succeeded in creating an emulator, but
seems to have ultimately not been how access has been preserved.
 	It is worth emphasizing this website
http://www.atsf.co.uk/dottext/domesday.html by Andy Finney (who helped
produce the 1986 discs and helped recover the images and preserve them in
a more current video format) details many of the issues in this including
some information on subsequent developments such as the Domesday Reloaded
project which celebrated the 25th anniversary of the original by making
some of the information available and undertaking an update (the original
project involved a large component of public participation that was
revived here) http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/domesday/story . I'm not sure
but my sense is that the Reloaded project required or made use of some
reingineering and preservation beyond what the other three projects had
done.
 	Many intriguing twists and turns in that one.
 	As an incurable pack rat trying to keep track of my 17 year old
e-mails and the like is my most direct and sustained experience with the
problems of digital preservation. If enough energy and time is expended
the problems don't seem insurmountable, but that is the rub.
 	I would point out that even hard records get thrown out and lost
to history with a sharp regularity and so I would suspect preservation
in general is a perennial problem and question of priorities and
resources.

--

Yours Truly,
Allan Olley, PhD