[SIGCIS-Members] Google boss warns of 'forgotten century' with email and photos at risk

Dag Spicer dspicer at computerhistory.org
Fri Feb 13 09:04:56 PST 2015

Great point Mathew.

Archivists have been dealing with this issue in a systematic way for well over a decade, if not longer.

Here at CHM, we bring up the issue in our “Memory & Storage” gallery in a CHM-produced mini-movie called “The Digital Dark Age.”

See: http://www.computerhistory.org/revolution/memory-storage/8/325

I was also interviewed on the topic by BBC this past week.  My basic observation was that people will need to take *personal* responsibility for their data, migrating it to newer storage technologies as they arrive and that relying on a corporate entity to do that has some serious privacy and long-term reliability issues.  Will Google someday try to sell you access to your own data?  It would be naive to assume they are acting upon humanitarian impulses…  the case of Gmail may be instructive: the contents of all emails sent or received by Gmail are scanned by Google to target advertising to you.   What if Google goes out of business?

Such “longue durée” questions are exactly what archivists are philosophically and professionally trained to consider.  Will Google adopt that same perspective?  Is that even possible?

Dag
--
Dag Spicer
Senior Curator