[SIGCIS-Members] Silicon City

Laine Nooney laine.nooney at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 09:30:12 PST 2015

Would also like to encourage others to go, perhaps most especially to start
a conversation about how we can imagine computer histories. I attended
yesterday with a colleague and left feeling dismayed--the sticky fingers of
IBM (a major donor for the exhibit) appeared to be all over it (at one
point I openly laughed at some wall text that described Apple as a "plucky
startup" but insisting IBM *really* drove the tech revolution). There are a
few special, very sincere parts--the 1964 Worlds Fair dome, the focus on
NYC's role in electronic art and music (Cage, Bell Labs, etc) but otherwise
reads like the history of computing told through the history of IBM--which
feels strange given that there's no special effort to frame IBM as a
*regionalist
*company.

Would love to stoke a conversation, even off list, about other's
impressions...feel free to drop me an email.

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 11:53 AM John Impagliazzo <
John.Impagliazzo at hofstra.edu> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>

> If you are in New York City and would like to see a slice of computing
> history, consider visiting the New-York Historical Society exhibit called *Silicon
> City: Computer History Made in New York*.  The exhibit ends 2016 April
> 17.  A link to exhibit information is
>

> http://www.nyhistory.org/exhibitions/silicon-city-computer-history-made-new-york
>
> The exhibit is at 170 Central Park West (77th Street), next to the
> American Museum of Natural History.
>

> I wish you all a pleasant holiday season.
>

> John
>

> *John Impagliazzo**, Ph.D.*
>
> *Professor Emeritus, Hofstra University*
>
> *IEEE Life Fellow*
>
> *ACM Distinguished Educator*

Laine Nooney
www.lainenooney.com