[SIGCIS-Members] NPR - When Women Stopped Coding

Janet Abbate abbate at vt.edu
Wed Dec 16 06:36:02 PST 2015

Marie hits on an important point, which is the need to look at specific employment contexts in order to understand gender dynamics. "Computing" is not an undifferentiated job market, either between or within countries. In the UK the government played a strong, perhaps determining role in defining who would be employed as programmers, analysts, and operators. In the US there were different factors, such as large industrial research labs (Bell, IBM, PARC) and later the Silicon Valley start-up culture, with government and military agencies also playing a key role but rather different from the UK case. I don't think women were "pushed out" so much in the US employment context. On the other hand, there is evidence that women in the US have been excluded on the education side, through skewed admissions criteria or hostile environments.

It's also useful to view women's agency regarding computing work in the context of their other perceived career options. Insofar as women are exercising choice (not always the case), a choice not to do computing is always a choice to do something else (including not have a career at all). Understanding how women see computing relative to other possible paths can help us get away from vague cultural generalities.

And yes, more non-US perspectives are needed. See e.g. the Indian feminist blog "The Ladies Finger": http://theladiesfinger.com/tag/women-in-tech/

best,
Janet