[SIGCIS-Members] NPR - When Women Stopped Coding

Deborah Douglas ddouglas at mit.edu
Tue Dec 15 19:17:51 PST 2015

It would seem that this is a case when it would be helpful to consider other disciplines.  When I think of my own work on women in aviation the pattern is different. Just consider the example of pilots.  There has been nearly a half-century of aggressive “evangelical” efforts (not to mention the Civil Rights Act, Title IX, the 1991 repeal of combat restrictions on women in the military, and the more recent changes to military policy)  to encourage women to become pilots and while there are a more military and commercial airline pilots today I think it is striking the fact that the overall percentage of women pilots has not changed very much since Amelia Earhart and the 98 other women founded the 99s, the International Women Pilots Association, in 1929.  The stories being written about women in computing today, feel like the same stories I was reading and writing about with women in aviation 25 years ago.

My intent here is not to derail the discussion of women coders, programmers etc. but rather to suggest that a fuller explanation of this very leaky pipeline needs to be considered in the broader historical context.    I do have questions about the impressions of those who have explored this subject more fully:  Do you consider the experience of women in computing to be anomalous or typical?  Do you view them (the way those of us who study women in combat aviation consider our subjects) as the “tip of the sword” or “bellwethers” for what is going on more broadly in society?  How is the experience different from one country to another?

Thanks,

Debbie Douglas