[SIGCIS-Members] ENIAC and the Cold War

Nicholas Lewis nic.lewis2007 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 20:01:12 PDT 2015

I'm afraid I haven't dug into the Metropolis collections at the LANL
archives yet, though I hope to start soon.  I do know of CBI's oral history
interview with Nick Metropolis:
http://conservancy.umn.edu/handle/11299/107493, plus Metropolis authored
and co-authored a number of papers on early computing and Los Alamos.  Some
can be found in the public *Los Alamos Science* journal (
la-science.lanl.gov/), such as this one on the beginnings of the Monte
Carlo method:
http://permalink.lanl.gov/object/tr?what=info:lanl-repo/lareport/LA-UR-88-9067.
Then there's an excerpt he wrote for *A History of Scientific Computing*,
called "The Los Alamos Experience": http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=88099,
and there's an *Annals* article he co-authored, called "Early Computing at
Los Alamos":
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=4640758&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fiel5%2F85%2F4640752%2F04640758.pdf%3Farnumber%3D4640758
.

--Nic Lewis