[SIGCIS-Members] Unix Racism: Winner vs. McPherson (Matthew Kirschenbaum)

James Sumner james.sumner at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Aug 24 01:59:00 PDT 2015

Dear all

Joerges' article appeared alongside a counter-response which challenges
and complicates its finding (I think this is the "bus timetable" paper
mentioned by Tom):

Steve Woolgar and Geoff Cooper, "Do Artefacts Have Ambivalence? Moses'
Bridges, Winner's Bridges and Other Urban Legends in S&TS", Social
Studies of Science 29:3 (1999), 433-449. <www.jstor.org/stable/285412>

-- which some have taken as a more-relativist-than-thou abandonment of
the researcher's duty to either resolve the research question or keep
quiet, and others as a useful clarification of the scarcity of true
"smoking guns" and the practical limitations of real-life scholarship.

Possibly edging off topic, but what interests me is the way most of us
in the STS/HoT community -- particularly those who teach -- tend to
treat Winner's "Do Artefacts Have Politics?" as "the Moses bridge
paper." It contains only three paragraphs on Moses's bridges, all
derived directly from Robert A Caro's work, in the course of a
wide-ranging survey which addresses David Noble, Alfred Chandler Jr, and
various other obvious hooks for introducing big HoT themes. I've always
thought that the argument about nuclear power needing a central
government capable of authoritarian policing (for which Winner draws on
Jerry Mander) is stronger than the bridge case as a knock-down
affirmative answer to the title question.

Why, then, have my class discussions of this paper always ended up
focusing on the bridge case? The exposition is particularly clear and
student-friendly, as Tom points out, but the rest of the paper is not
notably harder. Perhaps I'm just repeating a familiar pattern. But I
suspect -- and this is relevant to the UNIX/racism debate, after all --
that the appeal of the case lies mainly in the fact that it looks
contentious. "There are racist bridges" is an abnormal statement to
newcomers to the field, and taking up a position on it is an expression
of identity.

(Most students fairly quickly go on to see that the abnormality is only
superficial. I suspect that, having been introduced to the principle via
the bridge case, many of us go on to notice enough evident examples of
the reinforcement effect going on around us that we'd remain convinced
even if the bridge case itself *were* disproved.)

Best
James