[SIGCIS-Members] query: history of character codes, Unicode?

Murray Turoff murray.turoff at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 17:29:45 PDT 2015

If you want to understand standards you to look at how the committees
established in many different ways were formed to try and get companies
needing a common standard to agree on what a new standard should be for
things like codes, pins on plugs, etc
every member of the committee is trying to get a standard that is useful
for what they want for the company without letting the other members know
what new development they were going release that needed the standard.
there was also a lot of conflicts and downright angers in the process.
For example Herb Grosch) who was with the national bureau of standards
turned down IBM's proposal for a new punch card standard and even three
years later when i joined Herb and some others for dinner at a restaurant
during and ACM yearly meeting, when we walked into the restaurant a table
of IBM professionals let out a loud BOO.    Herb actually worked for a time
at IBM in his early professional days in the US and was allowed to wear a
beard because they wanted him to stay.  Herb later on was also a president
of ACM.
One of the experimental groups we had on the NSF sponsored EIES system was
a standards group that wanted to try to arrive at standards where
everything in the discussion was anonymous so you could not identify the
participants company.  If you don't know eies you should look at the book
"the network nation: human communication via computer" hiltz and turoff,
1978 and reprinted by mit press in 1993 and still available.
The great thing about eies (Electronic Information Exchange System) is we
designed so we could give any user group a tailored communication structure
to meet their need.   all inside a system that had much more in group
communications than todays social networks.  A lot of the early research
reports of the EIES efforts are available free from the NJIT library.  The
link to this set of reports and associated user manuals even for the
earlier system EMISARI in the US government in 1971 is on there.  it had
chat among other things.
http://library.njit.edu/archives/cccc-materials/index.php
we did a lot of the early experiments on online group communications which
seem to be largely forgotten today.

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 7:23 PM, Jacob Gaboury <jacob.gaboury at stonybrook.edu

*please send messages to murray.turoff at gmail.com <murray.turoff at gmail.com>
do not use @njit.edu <http://njit.edu> addressDistinguished Professor