[SIGCIS-Members] Is Unix racist?

Matthew Kirschenbaum mkirschenbaum at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 11:15:53 PDT 2015

I just want to briefly respond to one aspect of Tom Haigh's recent and very
thorough reply, without intending any special reference to the McPherson
essay in particular. Tom writes:

> . . .  I’m trained in history, rather than English or media studies.
> There’s a difference between the kind of arguments that are allowed in the
> two fields, specifically with respect to evidence and claims about
> causation. Scholarship in English tends to be more self-consciously
> performative, and more concerned with joining up apparently unconnected
> things in a provocative or original way. I’m reminded of a workshop at Penn
> where Rob Kohler asked a visiting English professor “How would you know if
> an argument of this kind had gone off the rails and fallen off the cliff?”
> His suggestion was that you couldn’t, that the aesthetic standards at work
> meant that almost any connection of conclusion to evidence would be equally
> valid.

I don't this is an especially helpful anecdote, other than perhaps a very
low-resolution snapshot of the general embrace of indeterminacy that
characterizes much of the academic humanities. By contrast, and given that
my scholarly training is in English literature and that my professional
activities take the form of "media studies" (including what we term book
history, itself a form of media studies in my view), I feel very
comfortable in asserting the following:

English professors (and media studies scholars) are interested in being
right in so far as what reasonable people would understand getting their
facts straight to mean.

English professors and media studies scholars are interested in primary
sources and the archival record.

English professors and media studies scholars do not think anything goes,
that one point of view is just as good as any other, or that it's all just,
like, your opinion anyway, man.

I do think, as Tom, notes, that we are generally *more* interested in close
reading and the ambiguities and sensitivities of language as evidence of
historical phenomena, and more willing to place pressure on seeming
contradictions or ambiguities which manifest at a linguistic level as
evidence of same; and that we are generally more sympathetic to social
constructivist (as opposed to techno determinist) arguments. These are huge
sweeping statements of course, and my own intent is less to throw down the
gauntlet with any single one of them than to offer a general corrective to
the notion that the difference between media or cultural or literary
studies on the one hand, and the work of an historian on the other is that
the one is concerned with getting it right and the others just want to put
on a good show.

I don't think Tom really thinks that either, btw, but I have been a little
concerned to see it taken up as an acceptable explanation for whatever
shortcomings people perceive to be at work in the essay that kicked off the
discussion. Disciplinary differences are very real to be sure, but they
can't be reduced to anecdote and caricature.

Best, Matt

--
Matthew Kirschenbaum
Associate Professor of English