[SIGCIS-Members] Is Unix racist?

Luke Fernandez luke.fernandez at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 10:08:09 PDT 2015

I have yet to read the UNIX piece cited here but our ambivalences toward it
seem to resonate a bit with ambivalences that have been leveled against
Langdon Winner's claim that Robert Moses' Long Island express way
overpasses had racist consequences.   Winner's claim has been contested and
yet, as a seminal article in the field, I presume that many of us assign it
because it raises interesting questions about the relationship between
politics and technology.  It sounds like the UNIX essay raises similar
questions.  Is that an adequate rationale for assigning it?  Or am I
eliding important differences between the two essays?

Luke
lfernandez.org