[SIGCIS-Members] Is Unix racist?

Nabeel Siddiqui nasiddiqui at email.wm.edu
Tue Aug 18 09:37:11 PDT 2015

Matt hits on the key passage of what I understand as the article's point:
Unix is not a direct cause of racism nor is Unix inherently racist,
instead, certain programming practices reflect broader cultural ideas about
modularity and standardization.  These ideas also manifest in ideas about
race during the Civil Rights movement and beyond.  Again, I think David
Golumbia's *The Cultural Logic of Computation* expresses this more fully to
highlight that computation is not simply about the technology itself but
has broad implications for how we conceive of and think about the world
around us.  McPherson shows that the sort of thinking that manifests itself
in "color-blind" policies and civil rights backlash have parallels with the
sort of rhetoric expressed in Unix programming manuals.

I think the response to this article has a lot do with broader ideas about
what constitutes the "history of computing."  Articles like this one are
common or at least not out of place in critical code studies, platform
studies, American studies departments, English departments, and cultural
studies departments.  As Thomas Haigh notes in his excellent overview of
the field "The History of Information Technology," there is little of the
cultural or linguistic turn in history that has been taken by historians of
computing.

Paul's recommendation, I think, represents a good example of how different
disciplines conceive of what is important.  The book he mentioned, which I
admit I have only briefly looked at, is about African American individuals
at NASA but it does not go in depth on the ways that racial assumptions
manifest themselves in technological production or use.  That, I think is
the more important point of this article rather than if there is a direct
causality between racism and Unix.

Sincerely,

Nabeel