[SIGCIS-Members] FW: Is Unix racist?

Janet Abbate abbate at vt.edu
Mon Aug 17 18:06:03 PDT 2015

Thanks for that perspective, Ramesh.

My concern with the McPherson piece is that it relies too much on metaphor, ungrounded by the type of empirical evidence you just provided. She wants to draw an equivalence between abstraction and covert racism, but one could just as easily argue that the modularity of Unix represents a non-hierarchical and therefore more egalitarian model of society. It's difficult to know which interpretation is correct without a more concrete analysis of how race is enacted and experienced in a particular historical context. We surely need more of those, so if this piece inspires scholarship in this area, I can forgive its flaws.

Janet