[SIGCIS-Members] Is Unix racist?

Bjorn Westergard bjornw at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 14:33:02 PDT 2015

Yes, one major historical issue that jumps out: the "rule[s] of
composition" she attributes to UNIX authors were consciously adapted from
existing engineering practices (e.g. "blackboxing" in electrical
engineering), which practices were not particularly U.S.-centric.

"Modularity" in this extremely broad sense could be traced much further
back in mathematics and the mathematical sciences.