[SIGCIS-Members] Raymond Dudley, unsung inventor of parallel processing and digital spreadsheet?

Paul McJones paul at mcjones.org
Tue Apr 21 12:59:07 PDT 2015

I read the patent, and did a brief investigation of the registry of the domain chessilluminated.com.  As far as I can tell, the invention does not actually play chess. Through the lights that Janet mentions, it helps each player visualize where each piece can move and when a piece is in jeopardy. The implementation is apparently “hardwired” combinational (stateless) digital logic: some 1500 TTL chips, and lots of wire. So I wouldn’t call this a computer.

The person who registered the domain chessilluminated.com is named Lainey Smith. She ran an unsuccessful ($260 raised toward a goal of $150000) Kickstarter campaign last year with the goal of producing updated prototypes of the invention:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2131586485/interactive-art-0?ref=city

The proposal quotes an unnamed university researcher as expressing interest in an modernized version of the gadget for use in experiments as a possible treatment for visually-oriented individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Paul McJones