[SIGCIS-Members] Diagrammatic models of human computing

Brian Randell brian.randell at newcastle.ac.uk
Sun Apr 19 08:17:48 PDT 2015

Hi:

One of the several forms that comprised Babbage’s scheme of Mechanical Notation was a type of flow diagram.

> Babbage regarded the Notation as a universal descriptive language of interaction not confined to science or engineering. In the context of the origins of computing, the Notation represents a serious attempt at formal symbolic representation of computational logic. The Notation is not a calculus but a symbolic description that exactly records how parts are interconnected and the way they are intended to interact. The Notation has three main forms. One form is that of a timing diagram which describes how motions of parts are phased and orchestrated in relation to each other (see Illustration 15). Another has the form of a flow diagram. The example in Illustration 17 traces each drive train for printing and stereotyping apparatus between 1847 and 1849 for both the Analytical Engine and Difference Engine No. 2.

Automatic Computation: Charles Babbage and Computational Method by Doron D. Swade

Available at http://www.rutherfordjournal.org/article030106.html

Cheers

Brian Randell

--
School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK