[SIGCIS-Members] Diagrammatic models of human computing

Willard McCarty willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Apr 19 01:03:53 PDT 2015

I'd be most grateful for pointers to very early flowcharting under any
name -- esp. prior to Herman Goldstine and John von Neumann, who called
flowcharts "flow diagrams", in "Planning and Coding of Problems for an
Electronic Computing Instrument", Part II, Vol. I (1947). This document
is available for download from the Institute for Advanced Study in
Princeton. Martin Campbell-Kelly, in "From Theory to Practice: The
Invention of Programming, 1947-51", p. 27, says that the term is
"completely original" with Goldstine and von Neumann.

Another teasing question is what flowcharting, under any name, has to do
with the phrase "think out of the box". Any clues?

Yours,
WM

Group, University of Western Sydney