[SIGCIS-Members] First instructional videos for Macintosh?

Cary Gray cary.gray at wheaton.edu
Tue Sep 9 11:32:17 PDT 2014

There is a missing link that I haven't seen mentioned in this discussion, which is the work at Xerox (I don't know if it was solely at PARC) that led to the Xerox Star.  I've often heard that it was a demo of the Star from which Steve Jobs got the idea for the Lisa.  A quick search turns up a couple of videos from 1982 on YouTube; an overview is the cover article from the Sept 1989 IEEE Computer.
Also, my recollection is that Alan Kay's talk "Doing with Images Makes Symbols" (of which there was a UVC video) includes some video of his work with junior high students and Smalltalk on the Alto, from about the mid 1970s.

	Cary Gray