[SIGCIS-Members] Re Ayyadurai: Lay public more sophisticated than ABC News?

Paul McJones paul at mcjones.org
Mon Sep 8 18:47:09 PDT 2014

I just googled for “Ayyadurai” and came across an ABC News story:

Fran Drescher Marries Email Inventor Shiva Ayyadurai
Michael Rothman via Good Morning America
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/fran-drescher-marries-email-inventor-shiva-ayyadurai/story?id=25344611

The amazing thing is that while the writer falls hook-line-and-sinker for Ayyadurai’s propaganda (“Drescher married the scientist, who is widely credited with having invented email -- at their home and the bride wore Badgley Mischka, People magazine reported.”), the commenters are almost uniformly very savvy, pointing out that coining the name “EMAIL” is not the same as inventing email, mentioning Ray Tomlinson, and putting the Al Gore incident into proper perspective.

Are we reaching the point that the average citizen is better informed, and more interested in truth, than the average mass media reporter?

Paul McJones