[SIGCIS-Members] Why is HuffPost publishing another "invention of email" series?

Hahn, Barbara barbara.hahn at ttu.edu
Wed Sep 3 22:25:41 PDT 2014

Of course these claims are not peculiar to the history of Computing and Information but are a common misattribution in the larger history of technology of which this group is a part.  I am thinking of my most recent experience with these claims, that "George Mitchell invented fracking."  I have a student working on the topic and his committee member, a petroleum engineer, vociferously disagrees.  Of course that engineer is indicating that *he* invented fracking!

We know too that some people understand how to make such a claim, and make it stick, whether in the courts or the patent office or Wikipedia.  It is fascinating to watch this process unfold in real time

It might do us some good to consider why these stories take hold so much more easily than the history we research and write.

+ + + + +
Dr. Barbara Hahn
Associate Editor, Technology and Culture
Associate Professor, History Department, Texas Tech University (on leave 2014-2016)
Marie Curie International Incoming Fellow
School of History, University of Leeds
@behahn
http://ttu.academia.edu/BarbaraHahn