[SIGCIS-Members] IBM Song Book

Brian Randell brian.randell at newcastle.ac.uk
Mon Sep 1 03:47:29 PDT 2014

Hi Ian:

On 1 Sep 2014, at 05:21, Ian S. King <isking at uw.edu> wrote:

> People really need to be more careful about unearthing things like this.  The Computer Science department at my university is talking about writing their own songbook.

About time! :-)

See: http://history.cs.ncl.ac.uk/anniversaries/40th/webbook/songs/

(I should explain that what are now two separate entities, the School of Computing Science and the Newcastle University IT service, started out as and for many years were a single entity called the Computing Laboratory.)

We have proud history of “corporate” songs here at Newcastle, though you’ll see that they feature irony rather than so-called “fellowship” :-)

Cheers

Brian

> I've never been able to get them interested in computer history, but that songbook has people all abuzz!  -- Ian
>

> On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 7:43 PM, Len Shustek <len at shustek.com> wrote:
> At 03:32 AM 8/31/2014, Brian Randell wrote:
>> Arstechnica has an article about, and a full copy of an 1937 edition of the IBM Song Book.
>> ttp://arstechnica.com/business/2014/08/tripping-through-ibms-astonishingly-insane-1937-corporate-songbook/
>
> You can hear a few of the songs at
> http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/music/music_clips.html
> and see a 4-minute general-interest movie inspired by them, about the IBM culture generally, at
> http://www.computerhistory.org/revolution/punched-cards/2/12/2211
>
> -- Len Shustek

> --
> Ian S. King, MSIS, MSCS
> Ph.D. Candidate
> The Information School
> University of Washington
>
> Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for the night.
> Set him on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU
EMAIL = Brian.Randell at ncl.ac.uk   PHONE = +44 191 208 7923
URL = http://www.ncl.ac.uk/computing/staff/profile/brian.randell