[SIGCIS-Members] Hidden Histories of the Information Age - PS

Blyth Tilly Tilly.Blyth at sciencemuseum.ac.uk
Sat Oct 25 14:31:00 PDT 2014

Hi all

The videos were created to meet a more mass audience - an example of how research can feed into a more populist output as they were picked up by the Guardian.

The BBC radio 4 programmes gave us a great chance to expand on a few of the many stories in the gallery and pull out some themes. I'm pleased with the way they turned out.

The gallery is of course our proudest output. The result of over four years work and the first permanent gallery at the Science Museum using our collections for nearly 15 years.

At the risk of self promotion, for those who can't make it to London, you might be interested in the accompanying book.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1857599012/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1414271838&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

Cheers,
Tilly
Lead curator, Information Age
Science Museum

> On 25 Oct 2014, at 18:45, Brian Randell <brian.randell at newcastle.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Hi:
>
> You might also like to see the set of 3 minute videos made available by the Science Museum itself - at http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/visitmuseum/Plan_your_visit/exhibitions/information_age/films.aspx
>
> Cheers
>
> Brian Randell
>
> ———
>

> Hi:
>
> BBC Radio 4 have has produced a set of six 15 minute radio talks in association with The Science Museum, whose new permanent  “Information Age” Gallery has just opened: "More than 200 years of innovation in communication and information technologies are celebrated in Information Age: Six Networks That Changed Our World, our biggest and most ambitious gallery to date. Information Age  is divided into six zones, each representing a different information and communication technology network: The Cable, The Telephone Exchange, Broadcast, The Constellation, The Cell and The Web.mThe gallery explores the important events which shaped the development of these networks, from the dramatic stories behind the growth of the worldwide telegraph network in the 19th century, to the influence of mobile phones on our lives today.”
>
> See http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/visitmuseum/Plan_your_visit/exhibitions/information_age.aspx.
>
> The Hidden Histories of the Information Age talks are available (I assume worldwide) at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04mttrp/episodes/guide
>
> Cheers
>
> Brian Randell
>

> --
> School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne,
> NE1 7RU, UK
> EMAIL = Brian.Randell at ncl.ac.uk   PHONE = +44 191 208 7923
> FAX = +44 191 208 8232  URL = http://www.cs.ncl.ac.uk/people/brian.randell

> This email is relayed from members at sigcis.org, the email discussion list of SHOT SIGCIS. Opinions expressed here are those of the member posting and are not reviewed, edited, or endorsed by SIGCIS. The list archives are at http://sigcis.org/pipermail/members/ and you can change your subscription options at http://sigcis.org/mailman/listinfo/members

> This email has been scanned on behalf of the Science Museum Group for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email Security System.

This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and are confidential. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately, delete the message from your computer system and destroy any copies. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not reflect the views of the Science Museum Group. This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email Security System.