[SIGCIS-Members] Woman in computing - NPR interviews

Allan Olley allan.olley at utoronto.ca
Sun Oct 19 20:58:16 PDT 2014

Hello,
 	Just following up on the e-mail Janet Abbate sent, I think the
podcast she menitoned is up.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/10/17/356944145/episode-576-when-women-stopped-coding
 	An interesting piece (about 17 minutes) on the trend away from
women majoring in Comp Sci that started in 1984. Some reference to the
prominence of women in the early computer industry and then looking at the
personal computer culture of the period. Also, references to later
attempts to increase participation rates among women in computer science
(specifically the project in the mid 90s by Jane Margolis and Allan Fisher
at Carnagie Mellon).
 	It ends by acknowledging many people and sources including various
pioneers, the organizers of the Grace Hopper conference, the book Gender
Codes and its editor Tom Misa and authors including Janet Abbate and
Carolyn Clark Hayes (sorry I don't have the energy to transcribe the
list).

--

Yours Truly,
Allan Olley, PhD