[SIGCIS-Members] COBOL history

Brian Randell brian.randell at newcastle.ac.uk
Thu Oct 9 14:58:40 PDT 2014

Hi Janet:

No problem. I’m sure we’re in violent agreement.

Let me recount one little GH incident.

After my book “The Origins of Digital Computers: Selected Papers” was published back in the 70s I sent it in turn to a number of the authors represented, asking them to add their signatures. (I stopped after a while, not being willing to risk the growing set of famous signatures to the transatlantic post yet again.) Grace Hopper was one of the people I asked, because of the paper that she had co-authored with Howard Aiken. When she returned my book, it was with a very nice cover letter, which said that since Howard Aiken had sadly passed away (in fact not long earlier) she was enclosing for me in lieu a wartime leave certificate that he had signed authorising her to pay a visit to Vassar College. What a kind and thoughtful lady!

Cheers

Brian