[SIGCIS-Members] how to document history mistakes? (was Re: Issason, Acknowledgements, and Crowdsourcing)

Dag Spicer dspicer at computerhistory.org
Thu Oct 9 09:33:35 PDT 2014

HI Jeremy,

One great approach is to use a website to document errors found.

Don Knuth has done this for nearly two decades for his various books.

See: http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~uno/taocp.html  viz. “Errata and Addenda."

Seems like the best way to record and disseminate known issues with a book or other scholarly work.  If you want, like Don, you can even offer to pay people a token amount for finding new errors—most people who have received one of Don’s famous checks never cash them anyway, so impressed are they that they found an error!

Dag
--
Dag Spicer
Senior Curator