[SIGCIS-Members] Reminder: Things you post to this list are archived and public

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Wed Oct 8 15:55:57 PDT 2014

Dear SIGCIS members,

SIGCIS recently received a request from Prof. Janet Browne at Harvard to
take down from our "blog" two recent "posts" alleging plagiarism. She feels
that they are no longer needed as the situation is "now resolved," with no
evidence found of plagiarism in either case as everything was done in
accordance with the genre norms of "highbrow journalism." I have explained
to her that this is an umoderated listserv, not an edited blog, and that
SIGCIS has no editorial role. We have never had such a request before, and
the SIGCIS EC is currently exploring its policy implications.

However I do want to give you a reminder that everything posted to
members at sigcis.org goes immediately and without moderation to more than 350
people around the world, and that all messages are permanently archived and
open to the public. This is in contrast to a blog, or a threaded discussion
board where posts can be edited and deleted. So before you "reply all" just
take a second to think about what you are doing and who might read it. After
you click "send" it's going to be up there on the interweb forever.

You will also notice additional text pointing out that opinions expressed
are not those of SIGCIS appearing at the bottom of each new message.